Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oatmeal Two Ways: Part Two

Growing up in my house, we had a special breakfast treat.  It was something that my Mom would whip up when we had overnight company or when my Dad got back from one of his long runs during his running days.  It was Baked Oatmeal:  thick and cakey oatmeal, with a hint of sweetness, baked in the oven until golden brown. 

I'm not sure who gave us the recipe, but it is something that my family cherishes.  The original recipe was written on a sheet of pink paper, and has the requisite cooking stains and marks of a well-worn, but much-loved recipe.  It's very simple to prepare, but delicious.  Just measure, mix, and pour.  No standing over a hot stove flipping pancakes, or wrangling out your waffle iron from the back of the cabinet. 

Serve it piping hot, spooned into bowls,  with a dollop of milk poured over it, and a steaming hot cup of coffee beside.  You don't need anything else in life.  Try this on Saturday.  You'll thank me.  And my mom.  And whoever gave my mom the recipe. 

NOTE:  This is not a low points recipe, and I don't apologize for that.  It's a comforting splurge for a day when you've saved up some points.  However, I may just play around with the recipe and post a lighter version at a later time.  I'll keep you posted. 
Baked Oatmeal Serves: 4
Points per serving:  10
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 large egg, beaten
Mix the above ingredients well, and add:
  • 2 cups whole oats
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup milk
Pour into a well-greased 9 x 5 loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. 

NOTE:  You can easily double this recipe and bake in a 9 x 13 pan. 

2 comments:

  1. Kel - I have been looking for this recipe for YEARS!!! I have asked my mom for it but never seem to get it. It must have come from Fairview somewhere. Thanks for sharing...I think I will try it for breakfast tomorrow...I remember LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly ~ I think we were at a church retreat in the Poconos when this was served at breakfast. You're right, it was a big hit!
    Until I figure out URL, I'll have to send this anonymously, but it's Ginny Jackson, fyi. Barb sent me your link :) We continue to try to eat better and she's winning.

    ReplyDelete