Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back on Plan (plus Green Veggie Burger Wrap recipe)


So...I changed my mind.  I joined Weight Watchers again.  I just couldn't resist.  And I couldn't be happier.  I was hearing such good things from friends about the new system that I couldn't stay away for long. 

My earlier concerns about having to learn a brand new point system after having come so far with the old system? No worries.  This point system is so much better than the old one.  After following it fully for a week, and steeping myself in the new plan, I see how this PointsPlus program gently nudges me toward choosing veggies, fruits, and lean proteins as my first line of defense against hunger before I go for the empty calories of carbs.  I really appreciate that.  Especially when it comes to snacks, I've always been a big proponent of the power of protein.  Perhaps it's the remnants of the Atkin's days.  In fact, to this day, my mother's cure for everything is, "Take some ibuprofen and eat some protein."  I guess I've taken that to heart.  Well, now I can have a hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit for a healthy, sustaining, and low points snack that will last me until dinner.  God bless Weight Watchers.  This is the plan I want to use to maintain my weight loss. 

I went to the grocery store with my dad and son over the weekend, and I looked down at the full cart and felt such pride.  In fact, I made my dad stop and appreciate it as well.  The cart was filled with fruits, veggies, a few canned goods, and lean proteins.  There was very little processed junk.  I was so proud of the cart, I actually thought about stopping a stranger to admire.  But I didn't. 

In a later post, I'll discuss my goals for the program.  As for the blog, since I'm back on the Weight Watchers plan I will be including approximate PointsPlus values for each of my recipes.
But wait...there's more! I can't leave without offering a recipe.  Here's a quick and easy lunch option:
Green Veggie Burger Wrap
Serves: 1
PointsPlus per serving: 5-6 (depending on wrap and burger)

Ingredients:
  • 1 veggie burger patty (I like Boca burgers.  They are usually 2-3 PointsPlus per burger.)
  • 1 Light Flatout wrap (If you can't find the light ones, go with the originals, but they are 4 PointsPlus a piece, as opposed to 2 for the light ones.)
  • 2 tablespoons guacamole
  • 1 large handful of spinach leaves
  • Optional: fresh basil leaves, if you have them.  If not, don't sweat it. 
  1. Thaw the veggie burger in the microwave according to package directions.  If taking this to work, I just pack the frozen burger in a microwave safe container, nuke it at work, and assemble the wrap after the nuking.
  2. Spread the guacamole along the inside of the wrap.  Tear up the spinach leaves (and basil leaves, if using) and sprinkle over the guacamole. 
  3. Once the burger is hot, break it up into pieces, and distribute it along the wrap.
  4. Roll the wrap up and enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. Kelly - I really really enjoy your dialogue and recipes ... you and they are winners!!! I can't believe it, even my niece signed on to your blog. I'm soooo excited!
    You are a real inspiration to my eating healthy, too. Now, to get the body moving .... ehhhhh
    Ohhh - I concocted my own soup the other day (I love soups!) Minn. wild rice, chicken broth (low sodium, chopped onions and celery and a box of sauted mushrooms. Then I added a can of drained black beans at the end ... it was tasty and very healthy !!!

    ReplyDelete